The Sirrine House, operated by the Arizona Museum of Natural History, is Mesa's only fully-restored, Victorian era historic home museum.
The Sirrine House was built in 1896 by Joel E. Sirrine for his new bride, Caroline Simkins Sirrine. In February 1986, the Sirrine Historic House Museum was opened to the public. This was the culmination of six years of community support, both in time and money, to preserve this part of Mesa's history. The City of Mesa, with the help of the Mesa Historical and Archaeological Society and many other groups and individuals, was instrumental in the success of the restoration project.
The Museum and the Southwest Archaeology Team began a research study of the home in order to make the restoration as accurate as possible. Many years and occupants meant that walls had been painted and repainted. Only after this intensive study had been completed was the restoration work begun.
The original house, built by Joel Sirrine in the center of Mesa, is three rooms with a large wooden porch, high ceilings for cooling, and wooden baseboards, windowsills and trimmings. The lumber for the home was purchased in Prescott and freighted to the valley by Joel and his brother, Warren. The wood was primarily Ponderosa pine. The brick for the house was made by the Shill family of Lehi.
The home is furnished to represent the first years after the turn of the century, with actual period piece antiques and collectibles which are authentic to the time. The home is elegant but simple. Decisions about furnishings were based on knowledge of the times, the people who lived in the home, and the style of this particular area. Artifacts were donated or purchased by the museum staff with funds provided by the Arizona Museum of Natural History Guild.
The effect is that of stepping into a Mesa home of about 100 years ago. The hope is that this historic home will give the people of today a glimpse back in time to the Mesa of the early 1900's.
For more information on Mesa's history, visit the Mesa Historical Museum.